What is bamboo? What are its advantages?
- Bamboo is the fastest-growing woody plant on Earth.
- It’s as durable as hardwood, even though the plant is technically in the grass family.
- It grows incredibly fast. Under the right soil and climate conditions, bamboo can grow as much as 1.5 to 2 inches per hour.
- While an oak tree may require 120 years to grow to maturity, some species of bamboo can be harvested in three years’ time.
- Bamboo offers many green benefits. Environmental Building News sums it up thus: “It’s hard to argue with a wood substitute that matures in three years, regenerates without need for replanting, and requires minimal fertilization or pesticides.”
- As a result, bamboo is recognized as a green material under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) building certification.
- Click here to read the rest at Green By Design
- Sources for article: